- Paris, J. (2015). The intelligent clinician’s guide to the DSM-5 (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Oxford University Press. Retrieved from http://ezp.waldenulibrary.org/login?url=https://search.ebscohos t.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=edspub&AN=edp4333170&si te=eds-live&scope=site
o Chapter 4, “What Is (and Is Not) a Mental Disorder” (pp. 54–69)
- Pillay, S. (2010, May 3). The dangers of self-diagnosis: How self-diagnosis can lead you down the wrong path [Blog post]. Retrieved from https: //www.psychologytoday.com/blog/debunking-myths-the- mind/201005/the-dangers-self-diagnosis
- Campbell, R. D., & Mowbray, O. (2016). The stigma of depression: Black American experiences. Journal of Ethnic & Cultural Diversity in Social Work, 25(4), 153–269. doi:10.1080/15313204.2016.1187101
Corrigan, P. W., & Rao, D. (2012). On the self-stigma of mental illness: Stages, disclosure, and strategies for change. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 57(8), 464–469. doi:10.1177/070674371205700804
- Document: How to Upload a Video and a Transcript (PDF) Media
- Laureate Education (Producer). (2018a). Psychopathology and diagnosis for social work practice podcast: Diagnosis, self- stigma, and mental health [Audio podcast]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
TED Conferences, LLC (Producer). (2017). There’s no shame in taking care of your mental health [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.ted.com/talks/sangu_delle_there_s_no_shame_in _taking_care_of_your_mental_health
Diagnosis: The Burden of Stigma in Help Seeking
Submit a must be 3-page paper that addresses the following:
· Briefly explain Corrigan’s model of the stages of stigma and his recommendations and hierarchy about recovery.
· Explain whether Delle’s experience follows that model. Use specific examples to argue your perspective. If you agree, identify which stage of recovery Delle is in.
· Analyze Delle’s reports about his own experiences with both types of stigma. Provide specific examples, and in your analysis consider the following questions:
o Does one type of stigma predominate in his talk?
o Which of Delle’s personal values or beliefs were challenged by his internalizations about his own illness and help-seeking?
o What strengths does he exhibit?
o What was the primary benefit of his diagnosis?
o Do you think that his experience would be different if his culture was different? Explain why or why not.
The intelligent clinician’sguide to the DSM-5®., 2nd ed.
Paris, Joel. McGill University, Montreal, Canada
New York, NY, US: Oxford UniversityPress; 2015. xiii, 284 pp.
Diagnostic Statistical Manual, normality, diagnosis, psychopathology, mental health professionals, clinical practice
This newly revised and expanded second edition of The Intelligent Clinician’s Guideto the DSM-5® provides an essential update to the widely-heralded first edition, published in 2013 to coincide with the debut of the DSM-5 itself. Featuring newchapters on the public controversies and clinical debates formed in response to the DSM-5, plus thoroughly revised material reflecting last-minute changes to the DSM-5, Dr. Paris‘s new book takes a critical look at the dimensionalization of diagnosis, the borders between normality and psychopathology, and clinical utility as defined by the Manual. Above all, this reader-friendly volume uses evidence-based critiques and consideration of contemporary clinical practice to provide a practical guide to mental health professionals everywhere who are seeking to find where the DSM-5 is right, where it is wrong, and where the jury’s still out. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2016 APA, all rights reserved)
*Clinicians; *Diagnostic and Statistical Manual; *Diagnosis; *Mental Health Personnel; *Psychopathology
Health & Mental Health Treatment & Prevention (3300)
Childhood (birth-12 yrs)
Adolescence (13-17 yrs)
Adulthood (18 yrs & older)
Hamilton Scales for Anxiety and Depression
Michigan Alcohol Screening Test
Health-Sickness Rating Scale
Global Assessment of Functioning
Levels of Personality Functioning Scale
Global Assessment Scale DOI: 10.1037/t48384-000
Suicide Intent Scale DOI: 10.1037/t15303-000
Beck Depression Inventory DOI: 10.1037/t00741-000
Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale DOI: 10.1037/t01554-000
Clinical Global Impression Scale
Psychology: Professional & Research (PS)