D1. Watch this video first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FTiGI9I1DI
Now watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnsIIVhDY1s
Answer the following questions:
- How did you think the woman with cancer, Tracey Miller, perceived herself?
- How do you think the representative, Sheila Jackson-Lee, perceived herself?
- Did self-perception have an effect on each person’s listening skills?
- Critique the interpersonal communication from one of the clips based on self-concept and recommend appropriate communication behavior for one of the participants.
- Create a plan, which you would use to talk to either Tracey Miller, or Sheila Jackson-Lee that will help them with their listening skills.
- Examine and evaluate at least 1 other students plan for Tracey Miller or Sheila Jackson-Lee and provide feedback.
Watch these clips from the Ellen show. Notice how a simple change in words, or language creates some very interesting quandaries. Please watch the videos and answer the following questions:
- As we strive for more and more technology, what makes these clips funny?
- What element in language makes the communication ineffective?
- What elements of the reading from this week could you apply to explain the communication you have seen in the clips?
D3. What kind of bodily reactions do you experience when you are expressing high emotion? How can people tell you are angry, nervous, and so on? Watch these two clips from the Discovery/TLC program American Chopper. Notice how the father and son react to high emotion.
Describe a scene that you remember where you expressed yourself emotionally through physical actions. Comment on whether these actions enhanced the communication or got in the way.
Realizing how high emotion affects all of us on a daily basis, how would you react if you were working in the same environment as the people in the clips?
Think about a conflict you have experienced either in the workplace or in a significant personal relationship.
- Describe the situation briefly and consider which response to conflict was demonstrated by either you OR the other person in the conflict. (Examples would be avoidance or collaboration.)
- What communication strategies did you use to resolve the conflict?