Choose two topics from below, and in two to three pages, reflect how cultural and linguistic perspectives influence teacher, guardian/caregiver/parent, and student behavior. Be sure to support your reflection with information from the Cultural Competence Form download and page 295 of the text.
- People with disabilities from culturally diverse backgrounds experience twice the discrimination experienced by non-disabled people in the minority community. Both disability and race complicate the situation.
- Educational opportunities are less available and affordable to individuals with disabilities from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- There is a lack of mentors and role models for minority individuals with disabilities in the workplace.
- Mainstream job coaching, on-the-job training, and internships are often not readily available to minority individuals with disabilities.
- Both mainstream and minority communities and religious organizations tend to overlook their capability to support the employment of minority individuals with disabilities.
- Cultural differences are not clearly understood by individuals or organizations designing programs to support the employment of minority persons with disabilities.
Your journal must
- Be two to three pages (not including title and references pages).
- Exhibit meticulous use of grammar, spelling, organization, and usage throughout your submission.
- Reference at least three scholarly sources, which may include your course textbook, in order to provide credible evidence to support your ideas.
- Ensure that all in-text citations, the page format, and references must be written in APA style as outlined in the Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
Cohen, L. G., & Spenciner, L. J. (2009). Teaching students with mild and moderate disabilities: Research-based practices (2nd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education.